Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Fasting, Beer, and Friends

So, fasting, beer, and friends, in no particular order…
Let us begin with friends. My favorite Man in the world *Moshe and I were visiting his best friend, and his best friend was talking about fasting late one evening, over beer, or whiskey, or perhaps both. It was a fine discussion, but in a nutshell, he described a spiritual practice of his family in which they would fast from something for a month, such as electronics, or alcohol, as a way of keeping things in check. The whole idea was also beneficial, because they would attempt new hobbies during that time, like cooking for example. The thought struck me curiously, and so I let it simmer.
Not too much later, God impressed on me that I should try it, and I should fast a month from alcohol as well. I do enjoy my beer and whiskey very much; perhaps too much lately,  ha ha! So, fasting from alcohol it is, I told God. He impressed on me to do it sooner than later, so in less than a week I began.
On a personal note, perhaps this will also reveal the more meaningful aspect of it of this choice of fast. Because of all my food allergies, there is not many beverages I can drink. I can have black coffee, unsweetened tea, but most real and artificial sugars really hurt my stomach, so I don’t drink any tea, soda, or juice, unless I have time to pay for it later (and I ain’t got time for that ;) So, most of the time, I drink my Bullet-proof coffee in the early morning, and otherwise I drink water. All. Day. Long. So, to give up any and or all alcohol, which typically doesn’t hurt my stomach, is pretty big for me. I have decided to take up drinking hot teas, ha! Embarrassing side note concluded.
I had been reading Job, and the historical parts of the Bible a lot recently, and in my mind I could see Job sitting in the trash pits outside his home and his town, covered in ashes and sackcloth, baking in the sun with blisters roasting and potshards carving, as he expressed his misery and moaned to God all that he would say. Then I began Daniel, and could see Daniel near the Chebar, waiting on answers from the Lord. In my heart I know my fast is no where near as holy as that, but I am excited still over the possibility of what this fast will reveal, and what is to be learned.
My dear Moshe always points me in a right direction. He reminds me of how, when we give up something for a fast, and then we think about the item, we are prompted to go to God and spend that time dedicated to Him in prayer.  My heart has been so disturbed lately over so many things, and this fast has so far been a great way to clear all that has bogged me down and focus with a more razor sharp clarity on God and His abiding presence. I am trying to retreat to my prayer closet and simply “be” in His presence. I’ve not realized any lofty things, nor been struck by any great ideas, nor came to any divine spiritual realizations, but this strange, sweet sense of His presence, His comfort, His provision of my spiritual needs, has been made more richly known. He is divine, in the realest sense.
Of course I miss beer and whiskey, but it’s a month. What is funny, is that after beginning the fast, our small group also brought up the fast idea, and after discussing it, they are also going to begin fasting in their own way. I’m so excited for each of them, and amazed at God’s timing on each of our respective spiritual journey, and how He provokes the Holy Spirit to prompt things in our soul’s. After our small group was near finishing Phillipians, there was a verse from it that struck me overall in particular, about unity, and how I felt about our small group, and that is Phillipians 2:1-2
Therefore if there is any encouragement in Christ, if there is any consolation of love, if there is any fellowship of the Spirit, if any affection and compassion, 2make my joy complete by being of the same mind, maintaining the same love, united in spirit, intent on one purpose.

It has not been an easy fast by far. Definite spiritual obstacles and challenges have come up, some rather frightening, some seem like a downright attack from the enemy. There was an emergency situation, and there was an unexpected plumbing issue, all within the first 9 days. The enemy doesn’t want to make this easy nor a walk in the park, but the struggle—during the fast—-mimics what also happened to Christ with His 40 day fast. There was temptation. We are told to expect it. Whether the temptation is to not complete the fast, or to disobey God, it will come in some form. So, to my fellow brothers and sisters in Christ, I want to remind you to expect temptation, and be ready for it. Put on the whole armor of God, and stand firm to resist the enemy. But also be prepared, for all the blessing that will come as you strive to grow closer to our Father in heaven, who Loves us and cares for us and sees us when we are struggling. God bless each of you, and God bless our friends, our brothers and sisters in Christ who know the struggle is real.

*Moshe, my pet name for my dear Man, James

1 comment: